The structure was built in 1911 with a $1,000 bequest from Davenport brewer Henry Koehler, the owner of the Independent Malting Co.
It was designed and built by John F. Bredow, the first manager of Davenport’s Electric Light Co. It is made of poured concrete in the Egyptian Revival architectural style that was popular in that period.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Iowa’s Most Endangered Properties is a program begun in 1995 to draw attention to special buildings and historic sites that are slipping away.
Nominations are solicited, and a panel of judges considers four criteria: geographic distribution, historic significance, the nature of the threat and the variety of building type.
OTHER ENDANGERED Q-C REGION SITES THROUGH THE YEARS
2010: Tipton Union School, Cedar County
2006: Bluff Mills Bridge, Andrew, Jackson County
2005: Clinton Post Office (also 2001), Clinton Library
2004: Churches of Clinton, St. Irenaeus (also 1998), St. Boniface (also 1999) and St. Patrick’s
2002: Draley’s Stone Milk House, DeWitt
1996: William Joyce House, Clinton
OTHER SITES AROUND
THE STATE IN 2011
Other buildings named to this year’s endangered list include a train depot in Buena Vista County, a Czech/Bohemian lodge in Jones County, a farmstead in Carroll County and a church in Hamilton County.
For more information, go to www.preservationiowa.org/programs/endangered.php.