If your New Year’s resolution includes learning some new tricks around the kitchen, Eastern Iowa Community Colleges has the answer with several new cooking classes in January.
The classes cost $29 each and are held from 6-9 p.m. at the college’s West Davenport Center, 2950 N. Fairmount St., unless otherwise noted.
- Cake Pops & Truffles on Jan. 8, course number 189862.
- Cheesemaking, including making ricotta and mozzarella, on Jan. 11, course number 189823.
- Basic Dairy, making dairy products such as buttermilk, sour cream, cottage cheese, quark and whole milk ricotta, on Jan. 18, course number 189814. Students should bring a large covered container to take cottage cheese home.
- Quick Menus that can be made in 15 minutes and made for the small household. Class will be Jan. 22, course number 189846.
- Robert Burns Night that lets students explore this Scottish tradition. Class will be Jan. 25, course number 189854. Cost for this class is $39.
- Angel Food Cake, from chocolate to classic white, on Jan. 29, course number 189821. Participants should bring an angel food cake pan.
Spring isn’t far away and anyone planning to raise chickens will want to start with the Chickens in Your Backyard course on January 25. It covers the different breeds, buying chicks, different types of coops and egg safety. Students should wear garden clothes to handle chicks and mature hens. Class will be held at the Butterworth Center Carriage House, 817 11th Avenue, Moline. Course number 190420.
For more information about any of these classes go to www.eicc.edu/cooking or to register call the college’s Registration Center at 563-441-4100 or 1-888-336-3907.