WEATHER

A golfer's 'fore' cast early in week

2013-05-13T04:30:00Z 2014-12-12T12:06:12Z A golfer's 'fore' cast early in weekLinda Cook The Quad-City Times
May 13, 2013 4:30 am  • 

Golfers, take heart: Warmer weather is on its way. But you’d better have your nine-iron at hand today and Tuesday because there’s a threat of showers and thunderstorms later in the week.

Tom Olsen, meteorologist with the National Weather Service, Davenport, said temperatures this week will be less windy and warmer, but there’s a chance of precipitation starting Wednesday. Sunday’s high was 58, with the highest gust of wind measured at 36 mph out of the west.


MONDAY'S FORECAST: We can expect areas of frost before 8 a.m. — you might have to scrape frost off the windshield this morning.

Otherwise the day brings increasing clouds with a high near 67 degrees.

Tonight will be mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 54. South wind around 10 mph.


Golf course employees and managers say their courses have had plenty already.

T. J. Hockett of Davenport, attendant and groundskeeper at the Pebble Creek Golf Course pro shop, said he had eight days off in April because of the rain.

“It’s really hard to mow, just because it is so wet — too wet to drive a tractor on,” he said. “Last year, we opened in March, this year we opened the first part of April.

“The trees aren’t as green as we would like them to be,” he said. “Mother Nature just hasn’t been very nice to us this year.”

“The cold temps and rain have definitely hurt us this year,” said Jon Waddell, head golf professional at Palmer Hills Golf Course. “The upside to all the rain is the condition of the golf course.”

He said the course didn’t open until April 3, “the latest opening day in at least 20 years. Last year, we opened on March 13. So we started the season in a big hole compared to last year. April rounds were down from last April (which itself wasn't good).”

Palmer Hills is in “a unique situation when comparing revenues from this year to last,” Waddell said. “In the fall of 2011 we began a major renovation to the 14th, 15th and 16th holes. Those holes didn't re-open until August of last year. So until we were able to get the new holes open, we were charging a deeply discounted rate. As a result of that, even though rounds were down in April, our revenues were up.”

“Our superintendent Tim Johansen and his staff have done a great job dealing with the wet weather. Palmer Hills is in fantastic shape,” Waddell said.

“March last year was fantastic,” Johansen said. “We had 80-degree temperatures and had great golf weather. This year, we lost all of March, and had a lot of rain in April. It cost us a lot of down time. And it’s almost impossible to keep caught up with keeping the grass mowed.”

Tuesday evening will be warmer and sunny, with highs in the middle 80s and southern winds from 10-15 mph. Tuesday night will be even warmer and partly cloudy, with a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Lows will be in the middle 60s.

Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with highs in the lower 80s. Wednesday night, there’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, with lows in the upper 50s.

Thursday’s skies will be mostly sunny, with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms and highs in the upper 70s. On Thursday night and Friday, there’s a 40 percent chance of showers. Friday night will be partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms and lows in the lower 60s.

 

Copyright 2016 The Quad-City Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Mayor, aldermen grapple with fire cuts

Mayor, aldermen grapple with fire cuts

Davenport Mayor Frank Klipsch's response to simmering frustrations over fire department staffing levels that were expressed to him and alderme…

4 hours ago(5)

Space heater caused Rock Island fire, survivor says

Space heater caused Rock Island fire, survivor says

Valencia Henderson said she is taking life one day at a time after escaping a fire that tore through her Rock Island home Saturday afternoon.

4 hours ago Photos

Photos

(1)

Obama built bipartisan reputation in Illinois Senate

Obama built bipartisan reputation in Illinois Senate

SPRINGFIELD — Given the deep partisan divisions that have characterized his presidency, it strikes some as odd that Barack Obama is returning …

10 hours ago Photos

Photos

(3)

Caucuses, reliant on volunteers, succeed despite challenges

Caucuses, reliant on volunteers, succeed despite challenges

CEDAR RAPIDS — Planning for the Iowa caucuses can be like preparing for a winter storm not knowing whether it will be ice or snow or how much …

10 hours ago Photos

Photos

(0)

High school robotics teams compete

High school robotics teams compete

 Davenport West High School freshmen Brandon Seamer, Zack Drumm and twins Ethan and Ben Gabriel watched Friday night as the robot they designe…

16 hours ago Photos

Photos

(0)

Fat-tire bikers dig in on Credit Island

Fat-tire bikers dig in on Credit Island

Ripping over the torn ground, mud splattering their day-glo outfits, nearly  100 bikers rode into Davenport’s Credit Island Park on Saturday a…

17 hours ago Photos

Photos

(0)

Bettendorf expo makes science exciting

Bettendorf expo makes science exciting

Adelaide Rhodes crawled through a colorful play tunnel that simulated the human outer ear — complete with a sheet of bubble wrap covering the …

21 hours ago Photos

Photos

(0)

'Operation Methed Up' nets 46

'Operation Methed Up' nets 46

It started in August with a tip about a possible methamphetamine lab in a Davenport trailer park.

21 hours ago Photos

Photos

(14)

Gaul, Cullen honored with Iowa journalism awards

Gaul, Cullen honored with Iowa journalism awards

Quad-City Times reporters Alma Gaul and Jack Cullen were recognized by their peers on Friday when representatives of Iowa’s daily and weekly n…

February 05, 2016 8:00 pm Photos

Photos

(0)

8 things to know about Davenport's $201.7 million budget

8 things to know about Davenport's $201.7 million budget

Davenport city leaders are looking to pull a few more dollars out of the pockets of property owners and residents as it seeks to raise fees in…

February 05, 2016 7:00 pm Photos

Photos

(8)

Home show opens weekend run in RI

Home show opens weekend run in RI

The 39th annual Quad-Cities Builders and Remodelers Association Home Show offers just about everything you would need for your home and yard.

February 05, 2016 6:21 pm Photos

Photos

(0)

Audit identifies spending issues in Davenport fire accounts

Audit identifies spending issues in Davenport fire accounts

The Iowa state Auditor's Office said Friday it has identified more than $4,000 in improper or undocumented spending between 2009 and 2014 in t…

February 05, 2016 5:45 pm(0)

Scattered flurries and a low of 24

Scattered flurries and a low of 24

Good evening, Quad-Cities. Here is your National Weather Service forecast.

February 05, 2016 5:00 pm Video Related (0)

Clinton sheriff to run for re-election

Clinton sheriff to run for re-election

CLINTON, Iowa — Clinton County Sheriff Rick Lincoln has announced he will seek a fifth term as sheriff.

February 05, 2016 4:55 pm(0)

Party insider: Dems should consider GOP-style voting

Party insider: Dems should consider GOP-style voting

DES MOINES — Iowa Democrats should consider altering their presidential precinct caucus procedures to look more like the vote conducted by Rep…

February 05, 2016 3:30 pm(1)

Drivers in fatal drag race crash plead guilty

Drivers in fatal drag race crash plead guilty

A Carbon Cliff teen and Davenport man have pleaded guilty to charges stemming from a double-fatal crash in October.

February 05, 2016 2:30 pm(1)

New Q-C website promotes trail exploration

New Q-C website promotes trail exploration

Before October, Lisa Miller hadn’t hopped on her bicycle for an extended cruise for about a decade.

February 05, 2016 2:00 pm Photos

Photos

(1)

On Iowa Politics: A caucus wrap-up

On Iowa Politics: A caucus wrap-up

This week on the podcast, reporters talk who won the Democratic caucuses, should there be a GOP do-over and if Iowa will hold its first-in-the…

February 05, 2016 2:00 pm Related (0)

Mayor Klipsch's 5 issues in 30 days

Mayor Klipsch's 5 issues in 30 days

Davenport Mayor Frank Klipsch used his first-ever mayoral briefing Friday to update the community on five of the issues he has dealt with in h…

February 05, 2016 2:00 pm(10)

Google finds star doodler in PV second-grade classroom

Google finds star doodler in PV second-grade classroom

When Shalini Chandupatla was just a toddler, she started to doodle. And doodle.

February 05, 2016 2:00 pm Photos

Photos

(2)