Rock Island Arsenal’s fire department, along with several area fire departments, responded to the Joint Manufacturing Technology Center on Arsenal Island on Monday after two employees opening a container were exposed to a small vapor cloud.
The employees who opened the container reported feeling nauseous about 12:30 p.m., prompting the response from fire departments that included Moline, Rock Island, East Moline and Bettendorf. Fifteen employees were evacuated from the building that houses the technology center’s heat treating operation.
The two affected employees were not hospitalized, and the building’s employees returned to work about 2:30 p.m.
The employees were working with a container that was to be melted down, according to an Rock Island Arsenal spokesman. The contents of the container are under investigation.
Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox
The HazMat team that responded determined there were no hazardous materials present and there was no risk to employees at the site.