The District

The District

Q. I am curious just how it works — why a video pirate has not been caught and the ad not removed from the internet?

Since it went off the air, I have been waiting to buy a copy of the series "The District." No luck. The network has not released it to buy. Why? The only ads I have seen to buy have been by this pirate; both copies I have bought (several years apart) were made on the USA Network. Over the years, the packaging has gotten fancier, but the on-air ads are there (which would be removed by the networks) and logos are still present. So, it is obviously the same outfit doing the selling.

I have packages for both purchases. Is it possible to track them through the packaging and ads shown? How do you track down someone like this? They have gotten me twice now. So, I am a little bit more than ticked at them and myself for not seeing any signs it wasn't a legitimate sale. — Gloria, Bettendorf

A. We contacted the Iowa Attorney General's Office and CBS regarding your questions. Geoff Greenwood, communications director for the Attorney General's Office responded:

"There are several options for your reader to report suspected a suspected counterfeit or pirated DVD:

"• The Intellectual Property Unit of the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center coordinates federal Intellectual Property (IP) theft enforcement. Its website,, includes a link to an interactive 'Report IP Theft' form.

"• The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates criminal counterfeiting, piracy, and other federal crimes. To report suspicions concerning the manufacture or sale of counterfeit or pirated goods, contact your local FBI Office, or call (202) 324-3000 and ask to speak with a Duty Complaint Agent. If you suspect products for sale on the Internet are counterfeit or pirated, you can report your suspicions to the FBI Internet Fraud Complaint Center at

"• The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) reports piracy-promoting websites and services to law enforcement. You can report piracy to the MPAA via email at

"When submitting a report, be sure to thoroughly document your information. If you report a website, for example, make sure you provide the exact and complete web address/link (URL) of the site or seller in question. If you provide additional supporting information (such as a copy of an invoice, email or picture of a suspected counterfeit or pirated product), be sure to keep a copy for your own records.

"Additionally, if you suspect you have received a counterfeit or pirated copy of a DVD, you may wish to contact your credit/debit card issuer to determine whether there is a way to reverse the charge, perhaps by filing a 'fraud affidavit.'

"Let us know if you need anything else from here."

CBS has not responded as of the time of publication. However, according to IMDB at, "The District" is available in box set DVDs through

Ask the Times appears on Thursdays and Saturdays. You can call 563-333-2632, email or write Ask the Times, Quad-City Times, 500 E. 3rd St., Davenport, IA 52801.