A Bettendorf home with a history of mold problems and other alleged deficiencies was torn down Thursday, only seven years after it was built.
William and Shelly Wood took out a $400,000 mortgage in June 2005 to buy the home at 6275 Eagle Ridge Road, according to property records. The 2012 assessed value for the two-story home with 5,015 square feet of living space and the 0.59 acre lot was listed at $155,070, according to the Scott County Assessor’s Office.
The Woods subsequently filed two lawsuits in Scott County District Court against contractor Mark McManus and McManus Development.
One lawsuit claimed several problems with the home’s construction, including doors, windows and flooring that were not properly installed, heating and cooling problems, granite that was cut incorrectly and “excessive moisture levels in the interior walls and window areas on the west wall.”
The second lawsuit claimed that excessive moisture in the home had resulted in a mold problem that caused or aggravated allergy problems for the Woods’ two sons.
McManus Development subsequently brought in several subcontractors as third-party defendants.
The Woods requested that both lawsuits be dismissed in May 2011.
McManus issued a statement Thursday that read: “McManus Development has a long history of building quality homes for satisfied customers. We believe the house at 6275 Eagle Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa, was built by our highly qualified employees and subcontractors in a manner that exceeded industry standards and building codes. We deny that anything we or our subcontractors did or allegedly failed to do caused any problems with the house.”
Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox
Calls to William Wood and the Woods’ attorney were not returned Thursday.
Douglas Houston, owner of the Steamatic mold remediation business in Bettendorf, said that in his 15 years in the business, he has never heard of a home being torn down because of a mold problem, but there have been homes where the mold was so pervasive he had to strip the home down to just the wooden frame.
He said if the home had such a serious moisture problem that the mold could not be prevented from coming back, it could be necessary to tear the entire home down.