SEQUESTRATION

Budget ax to fall; Quad-Citians are frustrated by federal stalemate

2013-03-01T04:45:00Z 2013-03-01T16:29:14Z Budget ax to fall; Quad-Citians are frustrated by federal stalemateBarb Ickes The Quad-City Times
March 01, 2013 4:45 am  •

Quad-Citians are facing the uncertainty of today’s sequester the same way many in the nation are facing it: with frustration.

A stated displeasure with the conduct of  Congress was a common theme in interviews Thursday with working Quad-Citians. But about half the people who were asked about the sequester said they stopped paying attention to the nation’s financial woes months ago, largely because of burn-out over the so-called fiscal cliff.

“I think the folks in Washington are trying to scare people, and I think they’re doing a good job of it,” said Roger Haggert of Rock Island. “Nothing’s going to change after Friday. I’ll still be 71 years old and will still be retired.”

However, Jay Dbland, also of Rock Island, said he expects plenty of change to result from today’s automatic across-the-board federal spending cuts.

“I’m not scared,” he said. “I think it’s time for a change, and a lot people are afraid of change, especially older people. I know what my purpose is, and it’s about how I can help others.

“People who are in places where big decisions are made could learn what I have learned from doing community outreach: Without unity, you can’t get anything done.”

Mary Stringer of Bettendorf said she fears the sequester will deliver a setback to the U.S. economy, which cannot withstand the blow.

“I’m just frustrated with Congress,” she said. “I just don’t understand why people can’t work together. My husband and I talk to the TV a lot at night. Mostly we say, ‘You’ve got to be kidding!’”

She said she has been grateful to the “loyal customers” who have continued to do business at Sherwin Williams paint store in Moline, where she works.

“These federal problems will trickle down, I’m afraid,” she said. “The timing is bad, because we’re still trying to recover.”

Mark Smiddy of Davenport had harsher words for lawmakers.

“Let it go,” he said of the sequester. “Let it happen. It’ll just show that we have an inept Congress.”

On a brighter note, he added, “I think we’ve been spending too much money. We need to get our fiscal house in order. Corporate America is sitting on an unbelievable amount of cash, and they’re not using it, not spending it.

“There are a lot of places to start in making economic improvements.”

One place to start, suggested Dave Sorensen of Moline, is to elect people who are willing to take bold steps and make unpopular policy.

“What’s happening is people are getting used to a dysfunctional government,” he said. “It’s not Democrats, and it’s not Republicans.

“We don’t have any leaders. We have a bunch of people who want to keep their jobs. Look what good that’s doing for a nation of constituents.”

1. opie1
    opie1 - March 01, 2013 3:07 pm
    I don`t mind rich people being rich,they worked for it, BUT what I do mind is the rich trying to buy my government so they can become even richer by owning our legislators who make the tax laws.

You`re idea that just because your rich don`t entitle you to ask for any more tax favors than the homeless veteran, who lost the remainder of his life`s dreams while fighting to protect your sorry butt while you were promoting more poor and middle class American`s citizens be sent off to die so your profit an loss statement looks better. You want some equality rich American`s - place you butt on the same line our troops do everyday of the week, before you complain about the taxes you are asked to pay.
  2. opie1
    opie1 - March 01, 2013 2:54 pm
    Suggest you take a closer look at all those leeches residing in the red states that get more back from the federal government than they have ever paid in federal taxes.This old worn out argument that people want to be on the dole is pure GOP theater ,designed for the purpose of winning the election. The elections over the GOP lost the oval office and seats in both houses, so move on with some truth if you have any of it in you. Look at your map--the poorest, those on food stamps, welfare, and the (Free Phones) that Raygun started, Bush 41 and 43 switched from land lines to cell phones ,that Obama had nothing to do with, are all the highest in the right to work RED states that promote poverty over a good livable wage union jobs.The problem the rich are not rich enough yet so they ship jobs out of the country then ask for more tax breaks and the GOP says why yes we can help,all while trashing the very nation that helped then get rich to start with.

As Raygun one said--"Facts are stupid things." Ronald Reagan

"A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not." Ronald Reagan
  3. senor citizen
    senor citizen - March 01, 2013 1:06 pm
    The president signed this and Congress passed it 16 months ago. The prez doesn't like it now because he is rarely a man of his word and prefers to think of himself as "evolving". $86 billion in cuts would not make a dent in this years budget (if there were one). But he intends to make the cuts where they will do the most damage. He thought the House was going to blink again, and was wrong this time.
  4. PainfullTruth
    PainfullTruth - March 01, 2013 7:30 am
    The country is "F'd" up because we have crossed the line of no return. There are more people receiving a handout than producing the handouts. Then when you add in the fact that the ones receiving handouts vote in higher numbers than the producers and you get what we have now. The leachers, moochers and parasites of the economy can simply vote their way to receiving more money by electing Obama, Durbin, Pelosi, Reid, and now Bustos to office.

Look at the voting map and the areas that are the poorest, lowest education levels, highest unemployment and most on welfare always vote Democratic. They vote for their pockets to receive more welfare, food stamps, Obama phones, etc.

Good thing we have a Community Organizer in the White House to make everything better....
  5. Contemptio
    Contemptio - March 01, 2013 6:47 am
    "If Congress allows sequestration cuts to take effect, more than 170 million Americans could lose their jobs, according to Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.)."

"There’s just one problem with her estimation — and it’s a big one. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are only 134 million people working in the United States. So by Waters’ estimation, the sequester cuts would be so apocalyptic that nearly 40 million people who don’t have jobs would become even more unemployed."

And you wonder why this country is F--cked up.

Follow the Quad-City Times