CLINTON — Ownership of The Alverno Healthcare Facility, Clinton’s oldest long-term care facility, will be transferred to a Michigan-based non-profit senior housing and nursing care organization.
The Alverno’s board of directors announced that the facility, founded by the Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, will be acquired by Trinity Senior Living Communities of Livonia, Mich. Trinity has managed the facility for the past five years. The acquisition is expected to be effective March 1.
The 132-bed skilled nursing, rehabilitation and wellness center was opened by the Sisters of St. Francis, Clinton, in 1914. It was the Clinton region’s first such facility and the only local area facility to serve the aged and infirm until the mid-20th century.
It currently is owned by an independent, nonprofit entity governed by a community board of directors.
Trinity Senior Living Communities owns and manages 33 communities offering independent living, assisted living, memory care, long term care and rehabilitation services for seniors. It is a member of Trinity Health, the fourth largest Catholic health system in the country. Mercy Medical Center, Clinton, also is a member of Trinity Health.
The ownership change comes just ahead of The Alverno’s 100th anniversary in 2014.
The current facility, located at 849 13th Ave. N., was built in 1971.