A Bettendorf man who was shot by a police officer during a standoff at a Bettendorf store last month has waived his right to a preliminary hearing.

Joshua G. Price, 19, appeared Wednesday morning in Scott County District Court via closed-circuit TV on charges of second-degree burglary, third-degree kidnapping, assault while participating in a felony, and assault on a police officer, a serious misdemeanor.

Associate Judge Christine Dalton set his bond at $26,000 cash-only and appointed an attorney to represent him.

Price will be arraigned Feb. 2.

During a preliminary hearing, a judge hears evidence to decide whether there is enough evidence to justify a trial. The judge does not determine a defendant’s guilt or innocence in these hearings.

Price was taken into custody Tuesday following his release from University Hospitals, Iowa City, where he has been since the incident on Dec. 19.

According to a news release by Scott County Attorney Mike Walton, Price initially called 911 and reported a distressed and possibly suicidal person at Hobby Lobby, 2121 Kimberly Road, at 9:25 p.m.

Responding officers found Price in an agitated state and contacted his family, according to the release. After Price calmed down, police and his family determined he should return home.

Around 10:32 p.m., Price went into the nearby Home Depot, 920 Middle Road, through a receiving door, according to the release.

He made contact about 40 minutes later with a manager and pulled out what appeared to be a gun from his coveralls and instructed him to leave the building, according to the release.

He told the manger that he wasn’t going to hurt anyone but said he was either going to commit suicide or have the police kill him, according to the release.

Price is a former employee of the store.

At 11:41 p.m., officers made contact with the store manager and Price. Price was holding what appeared to be a handgun and was walking behind the manager, who had his hands up and was walking down an aisle toward the officers, according to the release. 

After making contact with the officers, Price told the manager he could go. Police then tried to negotiate with Price and gave him repeated commands to drop his gun, but it was clear he “wanted to die,” according to the release.

One officer shot Price in the leg with a 40mm rubber projectile, which had little effect on him and he started to run toward the front of the store, according to the release.

Lt. Kent Keeshan, a 22-year veteran of the Bettendorf Police Department, gave Price several verbal commands to show his hands and get on the ground. Price then turned, faced Keeshan, and raised his gun toward him, according to the release. 

Keeshan fired his gun four times at Price, who was wounded in the chin, right hand and upper right arm area, according to the release.

Investigators later learned Price was armed with an air-soft gun that was modified to look like a handgun, according to the release.

Suicide notes were found in Price's pockets and he apologized to police for "causing them to shoot him," according to the release. 

On Tuesday, Walton ruled that Keeshan’s use of deadly force was justified.