One of three men charged in the August death of Romane Nunn Sr. admitted Thursday that he stomped on him but did not intend to kill him.

Durell R. Parks Jr., 34, who originally faced a first-degree murder charge, pleaded guilty to willful injury resulting in serious injury, a Class C felony, during a short hearing in Scott County District Court.

Parks faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced May 24. A prison sentence is mandatory because the charge is a forcible felony.

He remained in the Scott County Jail Thursday in lieu of bond.

Davenport police were called to LeClaire Park in downtown Davenport at 8:21 p.m. Aug. 18 in response to a stabbing that occurred as scores of people were in the park playing the popular mobile app Pokemon Go.

According to police, Parks and co-defendants William E. Crawford, 43, and Terrell G. Bloch, 46, approached Nunn in the park and assaulted him.

More than one witness told police that Crawford had a knife in his hand and that Nunn was stabbed in the chest, according to preliminary hearing testimony Aug. 30 from former Davenport Police Sgt. Shawn Roth.

When questioned by defense attorney James Carter during the August hearing, Roth said witnesses reported that Crawford told Nunn “something to the effect of ‘you did something wrong, you violated the law’” and “some type of sexual assault allegation.”

“They were never really clear as far as what exactly was said, but something to that effect,” Roth testified.

After that hearing, Capt. Brent Biggs, public information officer for the Davenport Police Department, said in an email that “Romane Nunn was not under investigation” at the time of time of his death.

Nunn was taken to Genesis Medical Center-East Rusholme Street, Davenport, where he died. Preliminary autopsy results revealed that he died from a wound to his main heart artery, Roth testified.

Crawford and Parks had blood on their shoes when taken into custody, according to court documents. Both were booked into the Scott County Jail the next morning.

Bloch was arrested Sept. 14. According to court documents, Bloch told police that he punched Nunn twice before fleeing the scene.

Crawford and Bloch are charged with first-degree murder and willful injury causing serious injury. Both have a final pretrial conference Aug. 16 and a jury trial scheduled for Aug. 21.