Police: Convicted burglar strikes again

2012-12-28T04:00:00Z 2012-12-28T15:09:56Z Police: Convicted burglar strikes againBrian Wellner The Quad-City Times
December 28, 2012 4:00 am  •

A convicted burglar struck again this week, police said, breaking his way into a Bettendorf home before a woman and her daughter forced him back outside.

Joseph A. Pecoraro, 34, of 2511 Bayberry Court, Bettendorf, is charged with second-degree burglary, fifth-degree criminal mischief and public intoxication.

The burglary charge is a Class C felony that is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Pecoraro is accused of burglarizing a home in the 2100 block of Grant Street, Bettendorf, at 6:48 p.m. Sunday.

He knocked on the back door to the home, and when the resident answered the door, he asked her if a certain person was inside, according to his arrest affidavit.

When he was told the person he was looking for wasn’t there, he forced his way through the door, pushing the resident backward into a kitchen table, the affidavit states.

Pecoraro then attempted to punch the victim several times but was so intoxicated that he missed her each time, the affidavit states.

The victim and her daughter then were able to push Pecoraro back outside and closed the door, the affidavit states.

While outside, Pecoraro punched the exterior door, storm door and window causing damage, the affidavit states.

He was arrested Sunday and released from the Scott County Jail after posting bond.

Pecoraro’s criminal record stretches back to August 1996. He was 18 and living at the 2511 Bayberry Court address when he was arrested on a third-degree burglary charge. He was accused of stealing stereo equipment from a vehicle in the 1200 block of Hillside Drive, Bettendorf.

He pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary, and a judge suspended his five-year prison sentence in favor of two years of probation.

At age 19, Pecoraro pleaded guilty to forgery and fifth-degree theft, and a judge suspended a five-year prison sentence on the forgery charge and 30-day sentence on the theft charge in favor of two years of probation.

1. yellow rose of TX
    yellow rose of TX - January 22, 2013 11:02 am
    I know this person as well,I met him through someone else,and he instantly gave me the creeps.I had to leave the room because I felt so uncomfortable.I did had the misfortune of his company several more time at our mutual friends house,and he would often brag about stealing from people,and womanizing.He would talk about the devil's bible and act stupididly and did some weird and crazy things like pound his chest screaming banging his head on the wall and table while he was drunk.
  2. anonymous0101
    anonymous0101 - January 06, 2013 10:40 am

That's just what he had been CONVICTED of in the state of Iowa in 2008. His criminal actions were not only when he was a kid. He has a long history of alcohol, drug and domestic abuse. Anyone who really knows joe knows this story is not far fetched. He would get drunk, try to bust into someone's house and try to hit a woman. He has been in and out of jail and rehab his whole adult life.
  3. ricosuave1977
    ricosuave1977 - January 05, 2013 2:56 pm
    WOW most of you people are quick to judge. Joes previous charges were when he was a stupid kid hanging out with the wrong crowd, almost 2 decades ago. Has no one that commented made stupid mistakes as a kid. This inncident sounds like he was too drunk to know what he was at wrong house or what he was doing (I am not excusing his actions) and has nothing really to do with his charges as an eightteen year old. And you guys are ready to throw away the key? He hasn't led a life of crime as the author of this article eludes to and it sounds more to me that the author has a problem with Joe maybe on a personal level skewing the article the way he has. I mean if I get a speeding ticket will the headline for my ticket be "Local Street Racer at it Again" bc I got a speeding ticket when I was 18?
  4. aa101
    aa101 - December 31, 2012 10:13 am
    I hate to burst all of your "innocent til proven guilty" bubbles, but I dated this loser years ago. Had him over while my parents were out of town. My step father is an electrician and this low life cleaned out all of his electrical tools and other things while I ran to the store. The idiot IS guilty, his records shows this through his history even though they gave him slaps on the wrist for the exact same things. It wouldn't surprise me if he missed her while trying to punch her. He attempted to hit me at one point and missed. The kicker? He was sober.
  5. 1of3
    1of3 - December 30, 2012 7:25 am
    I have a bit of a hard time believing this story. The claim is that he forced his way in, but yet,, he was so drunk he was unable to hit the woman while swinging?? Um Im thinking if your that drunk you can't force your way into anything,, maybe she opened the door and he fell in.LOL!
  6. andrea10678
    andrea10678 - December 30, 2012 1:26 am
    One is NOT ashamed of doing this. he is an idiot, I know firsthand.
  7. Hawkeye2300
    Hawkeye2300 - December 29, 2012 5:56 pm
    Really doesn't matter....I don't recall myself or any of my friends having police charges now or ANYTIME in their lives......

You can't explain way the raw numbers...
  8. shorty77
    shorty77 - December 29, 2012 12:49 pm
    Dang Joey, your hater list just grew 10 fold...LOL Hey folks, why dont we let a judge or jury decide what really happened that day. Not one of you were there, to even have an opinon on this circumstance. If you are going to believe evrything you read in the papers, you probably live a very disappointing life! I agree, if Joey did this, he should be punished accordingly. I know Joey personally and I bet he is truly ashamed of himself for doing this, IF all this even really happened. I know it may come as a surprise to some of you, but people do lie to police to get people arrested!!! Let him at least get convicted first before bashing him or even finding him guilty of this crime. You never know, all this could be dismissed, he COULD be innocent. Just sayin... Good luck Joey, because it looks like you'll need it with your peers already convicting you, before you have even gone to court/trial!
  9. shorty77
    shorty77 - December 29, 2012 12:49 pm
  10. geoff
    geoff - December 29, 2012 10:00 am
    The boys in blue should have commited this wacko to a mental hospital and force him to take anti pychcotic medicene for the rest of his life. They are good at that.
  11. Devil's Advocate
    Devil's Advocate - December 28, 2012 4:46 pm
    I grew up in the QC but moved away in 1986. I've lived in the Minneapolis, MN, Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA metropolitan areas before I moved back to the QC in 2008. The first thing I noticed upon my return is a glaring, close-minded attitude of a very large percentage of the population when it comes to social issues such as minority groups, crime, politics, etc. I'm sure if I had stayed in this area all my life, I too would be frozen in time in regards to forward thinking. Regardless of a traumatic childhood, I am a college educated, professional woman who spent most of her life focused on career, material items, money and the desire to be envied by others. It is my experience that it is easy to judge people, places and things that we don't understand. Until we are part of the grey area, everything is black and white, cut and dry, is or isn't. Through events in my personal life, God has enlightened me with insight to see there is always more to the story. Small-minded people can stone someone to death based only on a headline and walk into church Sunday claiming they are saving the World by ridding it of criminals. It is not Mr. Wellner's fault in writing the story, nor is it the QC Times for publishing it. News agencies are attempting to stay in business and Mr. Wellner is attempting to stay employed. The only way for them to succeed is in producing a product that the majority of their audience will buy into. From this perspective I say, "Shame on you, citizen majority of the Quad Cities! Please put your head back in the sand so the rest of us don't have to hear how perfect you are!"
  12. donjuan463
    donjuan463 - December 28, 2012 3:53 pm
    Home Invasion (1st Degree burglary) as it is written does not pertain to this case when no actual harm was committed, even thou it was attempted (so the victims say).

13.3 BURGLARY IN THE FIRST DEGREE.
    1. A person commits burglary in the first degree if, while
    perpetrating a burglary in or upon an occupied structure in which one
    or more persons are present, any of the following circumstances
    apply:
    a. The person has possession of an explosive or incendiary
    device or material.
    b. The person has possession of a dangerous weapon.
    c. The person intentionally or recklessly inflicts bodily
    injury on any person.
    d. The person performs or participates in a sex act with any
    person which would constitute sexual abuse under section 709.1.
    2. Burglary in the first degree is a class "B" felony.
  13. miket
    miket - December 28, 2012 2:34 pm
    You grabbed my attention with the headline! And then, as usual, you disappoint with the content. I would like to see the facts of this case. You say he was so drunk? What was his BAC? he was so drunk he missed her several times yet he was dead on with two doors and a window? A quick search shows the Times slandered him a few years ago when he hilariously ran against Mike Walton lol It seems like you printed one side of the story and common sense says there is always two sides. When he burglarized a car as a child he stole a stereo. What did he steal this time? Where are your facts? I hope there are a lot of kids out there that are learning investigative journalism. Because this print and hope you have a clue approach is absurd.
  14. Truthcomesout
    Truthcomesout - December 28, 2012 1:11 pm
    Carrie you are talking about charges from teenage years.... it is 2012 FYI :)
  15. carrie
    carrie - December 28, 2012 12:45 pm
    so where all those other charges false as well? it's not like he has s squeaky clean record.
  16. JMHO
    JMHO - December 28, 2012 11:13 am
    Burglary? How about Home Invasion?
  17. Uncle Paddy
    Uncle Paddy - December 28, 2012 8:52 am
    Hey RP..."all the facts"...?? Sounds like they did get them, he forced his way in, attempted to punch a women, damgaged property and the this clown has done this before. The fact that the property and victim may or may not be on the up and up DOES NOT matter. Good day sir.
  18. Real person
    Real person - December 27, 2012 10:34 pm
    Hmmmm......whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? You people have no idea about the facts in the case. Maybe someone should do some research and find that this house that was "supposedly" burglarized was a known drug house and that these people have small children that are being subjected to this kind of activity.
    There is always more to the story than what the public is privy to. I know this for a fact. More details to come and I guarantee a retraction of this nonsense will be printed. Shame on you QC Times for not getting all of the facts before you printed some trash like this!!!! I thought this was truly unbiased news but now I must compare this to the National Enquirer.
  19. Hawkeye2300
    Hawkeye2300 - December 27, 2012 9:53 pm
    What a loser
  20. Hawkeye2300
    Hawkeye2300 - December 27, 2012 9:46 pm
    Perfect example of society coddling this misfit.....quite apparent he doesn't get it...lock him up double the previous sentence for each new similar violation....

Maybe he should get a job and actually work instead of stealing.....
  21. bailaw
    bailaw - December 27, 2012 7:36 pm
    Had he been sent to prison the first two times he would still have been out by now.

Are you suggesting a life sentence, or perhaps the death penalty, for burglary?

How about a second speeding ticket, danger there too.

Throw away the key. Good lord...
  22. 55karma2
    55karma2 - December 27, 2012 5:38 pm
    So true writingmomma. This guy is a loser, will never learn. Throw away the key so others can be safe.
  23. writingmomma
    writingmomma - December 27, 2012 4:51 pm
    This is what happens when you give those little "slaps on the wrist." They don't learn a darn thing!!!