A Davenport woman charged with fatally shooting her husband in January will undergo a psychological evaluation, a Scott County judge ruled Friday.

Defense attorney Phil Ramirez filed a motion Thursday to have Shiela Jo Jasper, 52, evaluated for the purposes of competency to stand trial on a first-degree murder charge.

“It is material to the effective preparation of the defense in this matter for the defendant to have a psychological examination so that the defense may evaluate the competency of the defendant for purposes of trial preparation and plea,” he wrote in his motion.

District Court Judge Paul Macek granted the motion Friday and ruled that Jasper will be examined by Moline-based clinical psychologist Kirk Witherspoon at the Scott County Jail, according to court documents.

Ramirez could not be reached for comment Friday.

A pretrial conference originally scheduled for Friday was postponed until May 12.

At 10:10 p.m. Jan. 7, Davenport police responded to the home Jasper shared with her husband, Mark, 64, in the 2300 block of North Ripley Street.

According to an arrest affidavit and an application for a search warrant that was filed earlier this month:

Police were contacted by a local funeral home employee, who said that a woman named Shiela had called and said her husband had shot himself and that she wanted the “mortuary” to come pick up his body, according to an affidavit filed in support of the search warrant.

Police who responded to the residence found Mark Jasper dead from a gunshot wound to the head; a gun, still in a holster and partially wrapped in a red rag, was lying near his head.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

Shiela Jasper initially told police that Mark Jasper had killed himself sometime between 3 and 4 a.m. and that she had been trying to contact the funeral home to collect his body.

Later, Shiela Jasper told police during an interview at the police department that while her husband was asleep in a living room chair, she went to the basement and got his revolver, which was sitting on a computer desk.

She then went back to the living room, shot him and then covered his face with a towel and waited several hours before contacting the funeral home. 

She also told police that prior to the shooting, she had watched a movie so she could learn how to shoot her husband. She did not remember the name of the movie or what it was about, but she said she had taken it out of the DVD player after the shooting, according to the affidavit and search warrant application.