A 60-year-old Davenport man was taken away in an ambulance Monday after his kitchen stove caught fire.

The man had left food cooking on the stove in his apartment at 321 W. Columbia Ave., according to landlord Jim Smith.

The fire at the six-plex was reported about 5:30 p.m. Losses are estimated at $110,000.

Davenport Fire Capt. Karl Leslein said the fire spread throughout the kitchen. Firefighters contained it to the one apartment.

The building has five apartments, and the other residents were evacuated safely. Though the man's injuries are unknown, Smith said he's doing OK.

Smoke had spread throughout the other four apartments. Leslein said whether the other apartments would be habitable Monday night was yet to be determined.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.