Augustana College’s Thomas Tredway Library and nearby student townhomes were evacuated this afternoon due to a natural gas leak in the area, a college official on the scene said.
Sam Schlouch, manager of arts, events and communication for the college, said an unknown number of students and staff had to be evacuated from the library and from Anderson House and Bartholomew House after a construction crew ruptured a gas line shortly after noon.
Construction is under way on a new $20 million, 35,000-square-foot Center for Student Life, which will be attached to the existing five-story library, Schlouch said.
The Rock Island Fire Department blocked off an area from just east of the library west to 34th Street.
The rupture in the 2-inch gas line created a “significant leak,” Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Yerkey said.
“We’ve taken all precautions to evacuate the building,” Yerkey said.
No one required medical treatment as a result of the gas leak, Yerkey said.
MidAmerican Energy Co. crews are currently on the scene as the area remains blocked off.
Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox
Times staff at 12:19 p.m.
Augustana College’s Thomas Tredway Library in Rock Island has just been evacuated because of a natural gas leak in the area, spokeswoman Keri Rursch said just after noon.
No other information is available about the situation at this time.
Construction is under way on a new $20 million Center for Student Life, which will be attached to the existing five-story library.