Goombazz a work in progress after Food Network makeover

2013-12-26T05:00:00Z 2014-02-12T14:21:02Z Goombazz a work in progress after Food Network makeoverBarb Ickes bickes@qctimes.com The Quad-City Times

Their story had the two necessary ingredients: a failing restaurant and a stressed-out love life.

When it became clear six months ago that Goombazz Big City Eatzz in Rock Island was not going to rally back from its $10,000-a-month losses, owner Brenda Brewer did the only thing she could think of: She applied to be on the Food Network's popular reality TV show, "Restaurant Impossible." Host Robert Irvine, an accomplished chef, takes two days to turn around desperate restaurants by overhauling their menu, service, decor and, more often than not, the relationships of the owners.

Brewer said she knew things were getting rough with business and personal-life partner, Sal Cracco, but she didn't realize how bad things were until Irvine laid it all out for them.

Referring to the Brit-born chef as "an in-your-face Dr. Phil," Brewer said she and Cracco learned a few things from him about their restaurant and about themselves.

Brewer, the primary investor in the business, was skeptical by the time Irvine's taillights left Rock Island, but seeing the final show last week gave her tremendous relief. It also produced a complicated combination of gratitude and lingering resentment.

A long wait

In July, Brewer spent three hours filling out the online application for "Restaurant Impossible" and waited until the last minute to tell Cracco.

"Five minutes before I sent it, I told Sal," she said. "He didn't think they'd actually come. I don't suppose I really did, either."

Even if Goombazz was picked, Cracco said, he couldn't imagine what Irvine could do for them.

Born in Newark, N.J., 64 years ago, Cracco has spent more than four decades in the food business. In fact, Goombazz is his 13th restaurant. He couldn't imagine what anyone could teach him about the business. Plus, he and Brewer spent six months renovating the former Godfather's Pizza on 18th Avenue into their dream restaurant, so he didn't see much that needed changing there, given it was only about a year old.

"I thought, well, he can't knock too much, really," Cracco said. "People have asked why we were even in the show. Our food is good. The place is nice. And I say to them, 'You weren't coming.'"

But there was more to it.

"After I sent the application, five weeks went by, and I thought it got lost or we weren't interesting enough," Brewer said. "Then they called us, and 10 days after that, we did a Skype (online) interview, and they saw the place and interviewed the staff.

"Another 10 days or two weeks later, a scout came from Pennsylvania and did a five-and-a-half-hour interview. Two weeks later, I got a phone call at lunch, saying we were in. I was so excited. Then, I sat down and just sobbed."

From application to the crew's arrival in the second week of October, the wait was about four months. Then there was more waiting for the episode to air.

That's where the resentment kicks in.

"It doesn't make sense to a struggling business owner, going from July to December," Brewer said the day after her episode of the show finally aired. "Six months for a struggling restaurant is too much. I'm now six months deeper in debt."

After all, her hopes were just as highly invested in the promise of what the free publicity could do for Goombazz as they were in what Irvine's coaching could do.

So far, the publicity and coaching have paid off in equal measure, which is to say that neither has exactly turned things around.

The hard parts

Brewer didn't entirely trust Irvine at first, knowing that he was merely making a TV show, while her future was on the line. But she warmed to him.

"One thing he said to me that I probably needed to hear was a very personal thing," Brewer said. "He said, 'If Brenda fails, I fail, because now my name is on this business.'"

So, she was guarded. When Irvine, known for his call-it-as-he-sees-it approach, laid Goombazz's problems on the line, she flinched.

For starters, he picked apart the decor. Brewer and Cracco loved the inside of the restaurant, which they had designed themselves. But the TV crew tore it apart, replacing their beloved, colorful bar top with a much more muted style.

The place still hasn't grown on Brewer.

"People say, 'The restaurant looks great!'" she said. "I say, 'If it was your restaurant, it would look great.'"

Then things got personal, and Cracco got the worst of it. It was bad enough that nearly every Goombazz employee fingered him as the restaurant's primary problem, but Irvine told him his food was not up to par. That hurt, too.

"I have a huge ego," Cracco said. "To expose myself to all these people — admit I've got $325,000 in this thing and have been losing $10,000 a month — it's very humbling. On top of that, people find out I can be a real jerk."

But Brewer said he needed to hear it. Asked whether her partner has taken the criticism to heart, she took a moment to consider her answer.

"Is Sal better?" she repeated aloud. "That's a hard one. He's definitely improving."

It didn't help, she said, that producers "staged" a scene in which Cracco is pounding on the bar and screaming. Both said he was directed to behave in an angry manner, adding that customers even were warned to expect the outburst. The producer for "Restaurant Impossible," John Williams, did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Brewer said Irvine should have been accustomed to Cracco's management style, because she noticed Irvine treats his production staff similarly. Regular viewers of the show no doubt would agree Irvine often takes a less-than-gentle approach.

"The thing is, Sal is everything Robert is, and Robert gets a TV show for it," she said. "At the end of the day, though, he was right. Sal is working on that."

Goombazz's future

Besides the restaurant makeover, some menu changes, the finger-wagging at Cracco and the highly advised return of Goombazz general manager (now back on the job), Irvine had specific advice for Brewer: As the owner, she had better figure out what she's doing. Her lack of restaurant experience is adding to the restaurant's troubles, he said, and that has been Brewer's take-away from the show.

"I stepped up," she said, adding that she will be working full-time at the restaurant, beginning this week. "I am taking ownership of my business. I have a voice."

Will that be enough?

"Time will tell if the publicity we get from this, which money can't buy, is enough to kick-start us again," she said. "I've always been about the customers, and I'm learning now about the business side. That's important, too."

Cracco said he also is doing his part.

"All in all, aside from being the heavy in the whole thing, which I didn't mind, I think it was worthwhile," he said. "We need the attention. Our loyal patrons love us, love our food. But we don't have the volume to support this place. We want our customers to love our place and love us. We're Goombazz, and that means we want to be friends."

Added Brewer: "We chose this place, because we saw a need in the area for a nice place to come in and sit down and have a good meal among friends. If people would give us a chance, we can be all of that. It's been tough, real tough. I'm ready to do this."

1. ibcnu1971
    ibcnu1971 - January 01, 2014 4:32 am
    and this is what they do sit around and watch tv come on quad cities people really don't have a life
  2. Fatchance
    Fatchance - December 31, 2013 3:09 pm
    My family and I went there and I was actually surprised at how good the food was. I had the Strombolli and thought it was fantastic. I had some of my wife's burger (with the shredded pork on it-can't remember the name) and it was awesome. It did take a little longer than I hoped to get our food, but nothing too bad and we did have a large group. I definitely plan on going back. Don't listen to the haters Brenda, keep your head up and keep working on your dream.
  3. MzZ
    MzZ - December 27, 2013 10:13 pm
    The new decor is beautiful. I love the design, it fits the big city concept.
  4. thelastoftherationals
    thelastoftherationals - December 27, 2013 5:12 pm
    Sounds like you don't know any better.
  5. SherryRGarrett
    SherryRGarrett - December 27, 2013 9:43 am
  6. duckbistro
    duckbistro - December 27, 2013 9:09 am
    I agree 100%!
  7. Orpheus
    Orpheus - December 27, 2013 6:03 am
    Which is really saying something, because there is Harris Pizza here too....
  8. Orpheus
    Orpheus - December 27, 2013 6:02 am
    Axe to grind much?
  9. Santony25
    Santony25 - December 26, 2013 10:17 pm
    Police beat?
  10. If I had a Nickle
    If I had a Nickle - December 26, 2013 9:29 pm
    Wow...if I didn't know any better I'd think some disgruntled employees have found a place to vent. I've become a regular at Goombazz. Love the place. The owners are honest people trying to run a much needed restaurant in Rock Island. Keep up the good work!!! Quad Cities, check the place out! Wishing you the very best!
  11. Hawksfan23
    Hawksfan23 - December 26, 2013 8:05 pm
    Reality shows are not reality. You can't take a business hemorrhaging money, bring some d list celeb in, wave a magic wand and fix all the problems in 2 days. You need good food, good atmosphere, good service, advertising, and build a loyal customer base. I hope they make it, I always root for mom and pop restaurants, but Robert Irvine isn't a magician.
  12. My Voice
    My Voice - December 26, 2013 7:08 pm
    We have eaten there many times and think the food is really good. We mentioned a type of pizza that we enjoy and the waitress said they don't have it on the menu, but would be willing to have it made for us. It was delicious!!! We will definitely return, hoping some original items return to the menu, eventually.
  13. Hayjhay
    Hayjhay - December 26, 2013 4:25 pm
    Me and my kids ate there one time and it was by far the worst pizza we ever had!
  14. thelastoftherationals
    thelastoftherationals - December 26, 2013 1:07 pm
    What a bunch of thankless people. What did they expect?
  15. Hereandhere
    Hereandhere - December 26, 2013 12:23 pm
    Sounds like they wanted a miracle to happen from the July day they applied for the show. The whole guy wearing a fedora all the time never struck me as somebody running a great restaurant, looks more like somebody digging of stories on the police beat. Better look for more than luck to keep the doors open.
  16. Arc Angel
    Arc Angel - December 26, 2013 12:15 pm
    Doomed, won't be around in a year.
  17. doglover 1966
    doglover 1966 - December 26, 2013 11:35 am
    After I watched the show, I thought that maybe they had a chance. But along with new decor, new food items (which they are ignoring) it also takes GOOD employees, so when you go and fire one of the nicest people I know right after the show you get what you deserve BRENDA you don't treat people that way and then get rewarded for your actions. Karma is a B****!! It takes a TEAM to make something work.
  18. jhenschen
    jhenschen - December 26, 2013 10:59 am
    The very first thing they should have changed is the name. Everyone I know says that they would never eat at a place with that name. It's just stupid. If it was just Goombas: Big City Eats, maybe.
  19. Lou Ford
    Lou Ford - December 26, 2013 10:54 am
    Dec 28 at 1pm is the next airing.
  20. QC Father
    QC Father - December 26, 2013 8:58 am
    The episode aired last week.
    I was really rooting for them. I had heard that they were getting a remodel and an opportunity for them to get national attention, some expert help, etc.... but shortly after they re-opened, I wanted to go in and see what it looked like.
    I looked incredible. Sadly, the food was not very good. It took 40 minutes to get a Rueban and Chips. That was about 4 months ago.
    Since I live on the Iowa side, and will RARELY go to Illinois (especially to spend money), I won't be going back. From what I can tell, they didn't listen to him at all..... Look at the pictures/mural on the wall. Don't remember that from the show, The Rocky flag....
    I don't mean to discourage anyone from going there, and try to support them, but it is too late for these people.
  21. captain
    captain - December 26, 2013 8:22 am
    When will there episode air or has it already?