The Illinois Department of Transportation, alongside Iowa Department of Transportation, Illinois and Iowa’s departments of Natural Resources, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services is relocating approximately 450,000 mussels in the Mississippi River.
The mussels are being relocated as part of the new I-74 bridge over the Mississippi River between Illinois and Iowa. It is anticipated that this project will take nearly two months to complete and is one of the largest mussel relocations ever undertaken.
As featured on
- First phase of I-74 bridge mussel move finished
- Rick's Six: More rain, I-74 bridge bids, Elton John coming to Q-C
- Civil Constructors wins I-74 contract
- Street alignment would cost Bettendorf in excess of $20 million
- Update: Photos of new I-74 bridge Construction
- Rick's Six: Winter storm warning for Q-C, North Scott wrestlers to state, and need a job?
- Rick's Six: Wintry mix, Oscars, and traffic changes in Moline