A Maquoketa, Iowa, home received minor damage after a fire started in the attic insulation Friday morning.

Maquoketa Fire Chief Mark Beck said Lee Decker was remodeling the bathroom on the second floor at 307 S. Matteson St. and saw smoke. The chief said Decker tried to put out the attic fire with a fire extinguisher, but that didn’t work.

Firefighters were called at 7:26 a.m. Friday and spent a couple of hours at the home.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was pouring out of the rafters at the home, Beck said.

The home was not destroyed, but there was some damage to the attic structure.

He said old knob and tube wiring in the home apparently caught the cellulose insulation on fire. Firefighters had to pull out the insulation to make sure they got all the fire extinguished.

No one was injured. The home is owned by Rosie Gilmore, with Decker living there.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.