MAQUOKETA, Iowa — The American Red Cross was called in to assist a Maquoketa family whose house was severely damaged by fire Friday night.

Also, a Maquoketa firefighter was taken to the hospital with heat exhaustion during the house fire Friday night at 1014 E. Grove St.

Assistant Fire Chief Al Muhlhausen said the firefighter will be OK. The American Red Cross was called in to assist the owners, Kirk and Erin Miller, and their three children.

Firefighters were called to the home near Cardinal Elementary School just after 6:30 p.m. Flames were shooting through the roof at the back of the house when firefighters arrived.

Muhlhausen said the fire started in an exhaust fan in the bathroom in the rear of the house. He said the damage was contained to the bathroom roof and ceiling in the back of the house. He estimated between $50,000 and $75,000 in damage.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Muhlhause said firefighters saved the family's pets.

"One cat was hiding under the sofa, but we got it out," he said, "Heat and humidity was a big factor. That's why I called Andrew Fire Department to help out. We had a large turnout of our guys, too."

I'm the city editor at the Quad-City Times. You can reach me at dbowerman@qctimes.com or 563-383-2450.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.