Firefighters are investigating the cause of a fire that damaged a Moline home Friday morning.

At 9:08 a.m., a passer-by spotted smoke coming out of a home at 556 24th Ave. and called 911, Moline Fire Inspector Mick Dochterman said.

Dochterman said firefighters had the fire extinguished within 15 minutes, and the damage appeared to be concentrated on the second floor of the home.

Dochterman said the home is occupied, but nobody was home at the time of the fire.

The home has a “For Sale” sign in the front yard. Neighbor Rob Gilmore said the home was occupied by a woman who recently moved to Arizona, but other family members sometimes are seen at the home.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Dochterman said many winter fires are caused by faulty space heaters and furnaces or clogged chimneys, and he urged homeowners to have their furnaces and chimneys inspected.

Locations

(1) comment

CGE
CGE

A fire w no injuries. Not news.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.