Firefighters are on the scene of a fire at 556 24th Ave., Moline. (Larry Fisher/Quad-City Times)

Firefighters are investigating the cause of a fire that damaged a Moline home this morning.

At 9:08 a.m., a passerby spotted smoke coming out of a home around at 556 24th Ave. in Moline and called 911, said Moline Fire Inspector Mick Dochterman.

Dochterman said firefighters had the fire extinguished within about 15 minutes, and the damage appeared to be concentrated on the second floor of the home.

Dochterman said the home is occupied, but nobody was home at the time of the fire.

The home has a “For Sale” sign in the front yard. Neighbor Rob Gilmore said the home was occupied by an elderly woman who recently moved to Arizona, but other family members sometimes are seen at the home.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. Dochterman said many winter fires are caused by faulty space heaters and furnaces or clogged chimneys, and he urged homeowners to have their furnaces and chimneys inspected.


EARLIER STORY: Firefighters responded this morning of a structure fire at 556 24th Ave. in Moline.

The alarm was turned in about 9:15 a.m.

The fire was quickly brought under control.

Nobody was home at time of fire and there were no injuries.

0
0
0
0
0