CLINTON — Investigators were on the scene Monday of separate fires in Clinton early Sunday that left one man hospitalized in critical condition, and two bar owners hoping to rebuild the business that a second fire destroyed.

Firefighters first were called to a fire at a home at 2351 Chancy St. at 1:36 a.m. Sunday. Acting Battalion Chief Michael McQuistion said Monday the fire was caused by a candle that was knocked over.

The injured man, who had not been identified pending notification of relatives, was in critical condition at University Hospitals in Iowa City.

At 2:04 a.m.Sunday, firefighters were called to The Odeon, a bar and reception hall at 80 25th Ave. N.

Co-owner Gordy Carroll said he and his business partner, Gary Sawyer, who live above the business, were awakened by smoke and escaped uninjured.

The Odeon was a Clinton landmark built in 1870 by the city’s early German residents. It has served as a community gathering spot for drama and musical performances, guest speakers, celebrations and local fairs.

Carroll said the Odeon also was known by many Clinton residents for its bowling alley, which in recent years has been used only for special occasions.

Carroll said Monday morning that the fire department’s investigation into the cause of the fire had just begun, and it was unknown where or how the fire started.

Carroll said he and Sawyer have owned the bar for 11 years.

“It’s been quite an experience for us,” he said. “We’ve met a lot of great people. It’s been our connection to the community.”

Carroll said he and Sawyer would like to rebuild, but it was too soon to say for sure.

He also said he and Sawyer have appreciated the outpouring of support they have received from customers, friends and the Clinton community.

“It’s been overwhelming,” he said.

(2) comments

KevinsKandles
KevinsKandles

Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented!

Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out!
Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness.
Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities
by visiting www.asafercandle.com

Klaatu
Klaatu

Sigh. Candles and cigarettes cause most of the fires in this country. We developed electricity to get open flames out of our structures. My daughter came close to burning down my house with one. They are banned from my home now. When will people ever learn?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.