EMERGENCY LANDING

Plane carrying Ratt, Dokken makes emergency landing in Moline

2013-08-17T17:16:00Z 2013-09-13T21:23:55Z Plane carrying Ratt, Dokken makes emergency landing in MolineThe Associated Press The Associated Press
August 17, 2013 5:16 pm  •

A private jet carrying rock bands Ratt and Dokken had to make an emergency landing this afternoon after smoke was detected in the cabin.

Chuck Brennan, a friend of the bands who chartered the flight, told The Associated Press that the plane took off from the Quad-City International Airport but pilots had to turn it around when smoke appeared in the front of the plane at about 7,000 feet.

Brennan said the pilots donned oxygen masks and landed the Challenger 601 with no incident. There were no injuries reported by the pilot or the 13 passengers.

"The cabin didn't fill with smoke," said Brennan, the owner of short-term lender Dollar Loan Center.

On Ratt's Facebook page, under a photo of the plane surrounded by Quad-City International Airport fire trucks was the comment, "Ratt and Dokken just made an emergency landing after a fire in the cockpit. We are ok!"

Brennan, a former promoter who opened the Brennan Rock & Roll Academy in his hometown of Sioux Falls, S.D., said he had chartered the plane out of Santa Ana, Calif., for a four-city tour.

Ratt and Dokken, big names from the 1980s hair metal scene, played at the i Wireless Center in Moline on Friday night with Lita Ford and Sebastian Bach. They were heading to the Chicago suburb of Wauconda for an outdoor show today with Ford, Bach and Warrant.

Brennan said the two bands were taking SUVs to the Wauconda venue and were expected to make it to the show in time.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. bella35
    bella35 - August 19, 2013 4:16 am
    What's up everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this site, and article is in fact fruitful designed for me, keep up posting such posts. my web
    hairdresser in Edinburgh
  2. Arc Angel
    Arc Angel - August 18, 2013 8:58 pm
    I stayed at aHoliday inn express last night.
  3. furrygreg
    furrygreg - August 18, 2013 1:38 pm
    I've worked on the Challenger 600 series of aircraft for many years doing all aspects of maintenance. It is one of the most reliable and safest aircraft in the world to fly on. There have been several hundred of this type of aircraft built over the last 25 years. They are flown all over the world and by all types of operators. It is a very forgiving aircraft to less experienced pilots. I have flown on them myself. It ruins the experience of flying on the public cattle cars forever. This particular aircraft's problem was probably nothing more than one of the old analog components in the cockpit reaching the end of its usefulness. If an electrical problem occurs, the circuit breaker trips, power to the defective item is removed, and the item is safely dead until it can be repaired/replaced. I would have no problem flying myself or my family on any Challenger that has a quality operator standing behind it. But even the best maintained aircraft is eventually going to have some sort of event. That happens when you have thousands of parts flying in formation. Tha is where aircrew training comes to play. Good job to the crew flying this aircraft. The right decision at the right time. Still a safer way to travel than by SUV!
  4. xanderski
    xanderski - August 18, 2013 4:59 am
    Hey! No hats on the flightline! You'll FOD out a jet!
  5. Arc Angel
    Arc Angel - August 18, 2013 3:31 am
    Bobaloo.....Cannabis sativa !
  6. Bobaloo
    Bobaloo - August 17, 2013 9:05 pm
    Ironically, a rerun of "American Top 40," from August 1984 that included one of Ratt's hits -- "Round and Round" was aired this morning on KMXG (Mix 96).

Arc Angel: Really -- "I am sure there was alot of 'smoke' in that plane." That could mean possibly an electrical problem or an engine malfunction or something ... not necessarily drugs.

No, I'm no fan of either group, but I'm glad to read that the plane was able to land safely and everyone is OK. After all, these people have fans and (more importantly) families and others who -- regardless of what they may think of their music -- are just glad they're safe and (possibly) back en route to their next performance date.
  7. Wheezy
    Wheezy - August 17, 2013 7:59 pm
    I saw the headline and thought who the h$ll are they talking about?
    Guess I skipped the hair metal phase.
  8. Arc Angel
    Arc Angel - August 17, 2013 7:03 pm
    I am sure there was alot of " smoke" in that plane.