Marvin Kane, left, and Rick Carpenter remove items from the lower level of Carpenter's home Thursday morning on 246th Ave. near Pleasant Valley. Carpenter, who lives right next to the Mississippi River, was planning to take the items to dry ground in anticipation of flooding.

Ed Marple has Spencer Creek to the northeast of his home just off of South Spencer Road near Pleasant Valley, and the Mississippi River in his back yard.

Standing on his front steps Thursday morning, Marple said that when the creek and the river both leave their banks, "they meet right here."

Marple and his neighbors were busy Thursday morning getting their belongings up off the ground in anticipation of a flood.

Marple said he had put some of the items in his garage up on saw horses, and several neighbors were preparing to move their vehicles farther inland along South Spencer Road. From there, they will have to use boats to get to their homes along the Mississippi.

"There's no battling it here," he said. "You just have to let it go."

Farther southwest, along 246th Avenue, Rick Carpenter and Marvin Cane were loading furniture and other items from the lower level of Carpenter's home into a trailer to move them to Carpenter's shop in Bettendorf.

Carpenter said he was fortunate to have a concrete slab floor, which allows him to open the garage door at the front of his house and the back door that leads to the boat dock behind his house and just let the water flow through.

"It doesn't hurt me too bad," he said. "I just let it dry and scrape the mud out."

Bettendorf Public Works Director Brian Schmidt said Thursday afternoon that the city had delivered sandbags to Carpenter's neighborhood on Thursday. He said Bettendorf residents who need sandbags can get them at the Public Works Annex, 4403 Devils Glen Road.

On West Harbor Drive, John Bellig was busy Thursday morning pulling the carpet out of the lower level of his home. He said the culprit was not the rising harbor of the Mississippi River behind his home, but the overnight deluge of rain.

"All my pumps were working," he said. "They just couldn't keep up."

Carpenter said the basement still was dry when he checked it at midnight.

"I got up around 5 o'clock, and it was just sopped," he said.