The City of Rock Island will provide free leaf collection for residential refuse customers from Monday, April 3 through Friday, April 21.
• Customers must place the leaves in approved paper yard waste bags.
• Customers may provide their own approved paper yard waste bags or use bags provided by the city.
• Bags must be placed at the normal refuse collection locations on regular refuse collection days (a separate truck will collect leaf bags).
• Bags may not contain anything other than leaves.
• Residents do not need to participate in the Yard Waste Subscription Services to use this leaf collection service, and they do not have to place a yard waste sticker on the bags.
The city also will furnish bags for the program at no cost. Free bags will be available beginning Monday, March 27, at:
• Rock Island City Hall, 1528 3rd Ave., 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Public Works Department, 1309 Mill St., 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 630 9th St., 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• South Rock Island Township Office, 1019 27th Ave. (pickup in the front office), 9 a.m. until noon and 1-4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Rock Island Township Assessor’s Office, 2827 7th Ave., Suite 1 (pickup in the back of the building), 8 a.m. until noon and 1-4 p.m. Monday-Friday
• Highland Springs Golf Course, 9500 35th St. W., 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. seven days per week.
• Saukie Golf Course, 3101 38th St., 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. seven days per week.
The city has purchased leaf bags for this program. Residents will be given as many as needed while supplies last. In order to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to receive free leaf bags, resident will be given a maximum of 20 bags per day. Presidents must provide proof of Rock Island residence through photo identification or official mail to receive the bags, which may be used only during the free leaf collection program or future free leaf collection programs.