Davenport firefighters rescued a 2-year-old boy from a house fire Friday morning, saying the boy was left home alone.

The toddler wasn't burned in the fire at 1624 1/2 W. 7th St. but was transported to a nearby hospital to be examined.

"I think he's going to be fine," Davenport Fire Marshal Mike Hayman said.

The boy's father showed up minutes after firefighters arrived on scene after getting the call shortly after 8 a.m., Hayman said.

An investigation is underway.

"No adults were home, just the 2-year-old," Hayman said.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

The fire started in a second-floor kitchen after food was left cooking on a stove, Hayman said. The fire was confined to the kitchen. There was smoke and heat damage throughout the second floor of the up-and-down duplex.

Hayman said the house isn't livable at this time.

One firefighter was injured as he rescued the toddler from a second-story window of the duplex. Hayman said the toddler was in the living room next to the kitchen.

The firefighter was treated and released from a nearby hospital. Hayman said he was sent home for the day.