TRICK-OR-TREAT

Trick-or-treating remains Oct. 30, parade Oct. 31, in Davenport

2012-10-11T00:23:00Z 2012-10-11T17:47:52Z Trick-or-treating remains Oct. 30, parade Oct. 31, in DavenportKurt Allemeier The Quad-City Times
October 11, 2012 12:23 am  • 

For some, a trick; for others, a treat as Davenport alderman took no action Wednesday on moving the city’s trick-or-treat date to align with other Quad-City communities.

Trick-or-treating in Davenport will remain on Oct. 30, with the Halloween parade on Oct. 31.

Looking ahead, some aldermen seemed open to a future discussion of moving the Halloween parade to a different date to allow trick-or-treating on Oct. 31.

“This has been brought up several times since I’ve been on council,” said Alderman Jeff Justin, 6th Ward, said. “We need to consider other alternatives.”

Aldermen Nathan Brown, 1st Ward, and Sheilia Burrage, 5th Ward, also said they would be willing to weigh other options.

One of Justin’s constituents, Dale Gilmour, favored moving trick-or-treating to Oct. 31. Though he is a fan of the parade and says it is a tradition, he doesn’t think having it on Halloween night is essential.

Ultimately, Gilmour, who was one of three residents to speak against Oct. 30 trick-or-treating, knew he was up against a tough crowd.

“I know this is probably not going to change anything,” he said. “We’re victims of our own generosity.”

Absolutely, said Alderman Mike Matson, 6th Ward, who marches in the parade with his Junior ROTC students and also counts the number of children he greets at the door the night before.

“This is about giving candy to kids. This is what we’re talking about,” he said, saying he did receive emails in favor of moving trick-or-treating. “I love when people come here and we give children candy.

“My personal position is that it is awesome.”

The council did briefly consider shortening trick-or-treat from three to two hours, but because it wasn’t an official agenda item, that move would violate the state’s open meeting law, city attorney Tom Warner said.

Aldermen were not open to allowing political parties to have a presence in the parade, another change that had been briefly mentioned.

Mayor Bill Gluba tried earlier in the meeting to make it less about Halloween and more about a proclamation declaring Oct. 22-28 as FLW National Guard Walleye Championship Week. The fishing tournament is Oct. 25-28 with weigh-ins at the Davenport River Center

“This might be the big story tonight, not the Halloween Parade,” Gluba said.

The council also took no action to reconsider the final vote of a rezoning request for 2.77 acres at East Kimberly Road and Welcome Way for a multi-family housing project. Last week and again Wednesday, activists asked the council to reconsider.

A reconsideration can only be at the request of one of the aldermen who voted in favor of the rezoning. It passed 8-2 at the Oct. 3 meeting.

Copyright 2015 The Quad-City Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(2) Comments

  1. common2cents
    Report Abuse
    common2cents - October 11, 2012 2:38 pm
    4America: What difference does it make where they are from, age, etc...? You buy X amount of candy to give out and do so till it's done. If you're going to be a grouch about it, best that you do keep your lights off and stay inside.
  2. 4America
    Report Abuse
    4America - October 11, 2012 12:21 pm
    We got tired of seeing a multitude of out of state vans pulling up and dropping van loads of people to go trick or treating. Some of the people were not kids and some wanting candy for babies that were either with them or were at (home?). So we just stopped doing the Halloween thing. Davenport aldermen had a chance to make it a non Ill. thing but chose not to. So again as in the past few years there will be no light on at our house!
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow the Quad-City Times

Activate subscription button gif

Local Businesses