Here’s a list of Veterans Day events taking place in the Quad-Cities:
* Hero Street — 10 a.m., ceremony by Hero Street Monument Committee at Hero Street Monument, 1st Avenue and 2nd Street, Silvis.
* Chippiannock Cemetery — 9 a.m., Chippiannock Cemetery, 2901 12th St., Rock Island. Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1303 and Ladies Auxiliary and American Legion Post 200 will conduct services. P.J. Hymes Jr., commander of VFW Post 1303, will give the address, with a 21-gun salute and taps and placing of wreath. Contact: 309-786-6798 or 309-236-1633.
* Davenport — 10 a.m., veterans parade starts and ends at 4th Street and Western Avenue, followed by program at the Scott County Courthouse.
* Milan — 11 a.m., Milan American Legion Post, 515 W. 1st Ave. Ceremony with speaker from the Rock Island Arsenal, wreath at monument and 21-gun salute, followed by a flag retirement service and lunch.
* Rock Island County — 11 a.m., Rock Island County Courthouse, Rock Island. Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1303 and Ladies Auxiliary and American Legion Post 200 will conduct service at the memorial monument in front of the courthouse, with address by P.J. Hymes Jr., commander of VFW Post 1303, and 21-gun salute, taps and placing of wreath. Contact: 309-786-6798 or 309-236-1633.
Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox
* Silvis — 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Hero Street Memorial Park, 145 2nd St. The city of Silvis hosts a service featuring speaker Brig. Gen. Duane A. Gamble from the Rock Island Arsenal and local veterans. Contact: 309-755-6445
* Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum — 1 p.m., 210 Park Side Drive, West Branch, Iowa, presents “Unconditional Loyalty,” the history of African-Americans in the U.S. military from the Revolutionary War to the present, followed by showing of “Red Tails” about the Tuskegee Airmen at 2:30 p.m. Free admission all day. At 2 p.m., a new veterans memorial wall will be unveiled at 100 block of Main Street in West Branch.
* Rock Island Arsenal — 1 p.m., Rock Island National Cemetery, Rock Island Arsenal. Keynote speaker will be Brig. Gen. John Wharton, commander of Army Sustainment Command. Colonel Davenport House will be open 1:30-4 p.m., $1 admission. Contact: 309-737-4280
* Bettendorf — 2 p.m., Veterans Memorial Park, 1645 23rd St. Ceremony by American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Vietnam Veterans of America. Also, flag detail by Patriot Guard Riders, honor guard and firing squad by American Legion Post 154 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9128. Special guest Command Sgt. Maj. James Spencer from the Rock Island Arsenal.