Honoring a former biology instructor, Ashford University has renamed its renovated science structure “The Ladd Science Building.”
A plaque in the building will note that it is named in honor of Sister Francis Clare Ladd, OSF, “Teacher, Encourager, Researcher, Friend of All Creation — 1909-1985.” Ladd worked at Mount St. Clare College from 1944-57 and from 1961-78 as an instructor and chair of the biology department. She was a co-founder of the Mu Sigma Eta Honor Society, a group that promotes interest in math and the sciences.
Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox
The science building was originally constructed in 1965, and the multi-million dollar renovation project began in 2011.
The 28,169 square foot project features eight laboratories, five classrooms and 12 offices. A new student study area was added to the first floor. Building improvements include new fume hoods, lab benches with vacuum and natural gas fixtures and complete upgrades to the electrical and plumbing systems. Within the classrooms, brighter lighting, new drop ceilings and updated technology were added to enhance the student learning environment. All of the new facilities are handicap accessible.