A 78-year-old woman has died following an accidental cooking fire Sunday in her Davenport home, Davenport's communications director Jennifer Nahra said Tuesday.

Davenport Fire crews were dispatched shortly before 9 a.m. to a home in the 1900 block of Wilkes Avenue for a medical call.

Upon arrival, crews found the woman with extensive, severe burns, Nahra said. She was transported to Genesis Medical Center and later airlifted to University Hospitals, Iowa City.

She died Monday from her injuries, Nahra said.

There was no damage to the home. It remains under investigation.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.