Thirteen years ago my husband, our two elementary aged daughters, and I moved to Davenport. We have brought up both girls with the belief that college was not optional, but a continuance of their academic requirements.

Both girls graduated from Davenport North where they were very active in soccer and volleyball. Much to our surprise, the oldest picked St. Ambrose and signed on to play soccer. She lived on campus and loved everything about Ambrose – the class size and the people she met. Although she stopped playing soccer, she devoted herself to her studies. We were surprised again when the youngest chose St. Ambrose as well.

Even though our children do not participate in any of the athletic programs at SAU, we believe the new stadium would bring high quality student athletes to the university. It is also beneficial to the students of Assumption, since they miss out on revenue created by the concession stands and are scheduled to play on a school night instead of a Friday night.

SAU has done a tremendous job of listening to what the neighbors have to say and has paid to have studies done on noise and lighting, so that the neighborhoods will have minimal disturbance. The stadium will be smaller than Brady Street and fenced with one way in and out by Assumption. Please take the time to listen to what studies the university has completed in order to make the stadium a part of the neighborhood and not a nuisance.

Pamela Goecke

Davenport

(1) comment

NDFan 27

Thank you Pamela! If the neighbors just took the time to LISTEN to the results of the studies and what is being proposed, they would realize that ALL of their concerns have been addressed. It is time for them to give it a rest because they have gotten everything they have asked for thus far. St. Ambrose has come 80% of the way to a compromise, it is time for the neighbors to come the other 20%.

Furthermore, this is land that St. Ambrose owns, so in reality, the neighbors should have NO SAY whatsoever in what goes on this land. St. Ambrose has simply been a good neighbor by having this discussion with those around the property. I say it is time move forward, instead of letting the stubborness of the neighbors hold up this whole process.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.