The American Red Cross reminds everyone to test the batteries in their smoke alarms when they turn clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Saving Time this weekend.
Here are some tips from a news release from the Red Cross:
• Test smoke alarms once a month.
• Install smoke alarms -- at a minimum, put one on every level of the home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Check local building codes for additional requirements.
• Practice an escape plan.
• Get a kit. Keep disaster supplies in an easy-to-carry bag to use at home or carry in case you must evacuate your home.
• Make a plan. Help household members plan what steps they should take in case of an emergency.
• Be informed. Learn what emergencies can occur in your area and how officials notify residents in case of a disaster.
For more information, visit redcross.org/homefires