The giant winged bulls that once stood sentry at Nimrud have been hacked to pieces. Now their remains are piled in the dirt, victims of the Islamic State's fervor to erase history.
As featured on
A rise in U.S. bombing coincides with increased violence by the Islamic State, which remains the primary target of U.S. airstrikes in the Middle East and Africa.
Latest Local Offers
- Tough at top: Murray, Kerber out in 4th round in Melbourne
- Spanish police announce arrests in cultural artifacts ring
- Turkish president targets cleric's schools on Africa visit
- Defending champion and top-ranked Kerber is out of the Australian Open, beaten by American Vandeweghe in 4th round
- Syrian rebels meet in Kazakhstan ahead of talks