The YWCA raised more than $72,000 in net donations — the largest fundraiser in the organization’s history — during its Nov. 3 luncheon, according to a news release from the Rock Island organization.
The luncheon featured Jill Biden, educator and wife of former Vice President Joe Biden. It also celebrated the organization’s 100 years in the Quad-Cities, and 100 influential Quad-Citians who have inspired change and given freely and unselfishly to improve the lives of others, specifically in the areas of racial justice and civil rights, empowerment and economic advancement and health and safety.
The organization credits the generosity of the attendees along with sponsors for the success of the fundraising event.
“It is overwhelming to see the response of our community,” said Julie Larson, president, YWCA. “Everyone in the audience took Dr. Jill Biden’s words to heart and stepped forward in such a profound way. We couldn’t believe the generosity in the room, and we are grateful.”
“We are on a mission to level the playing field for every family in our community,” said Amy Balensiefen, member of the YWCA Board of Directors. “To do this, we need to start with our youngest children.”
“Within five miles of our center, two in every five children live in poverty,” she said. “We know we can help more children, and we are working up plans now to change the story for our youngest community members.”
• Royal Neighbors of America, presenting sponsor
• UnityPoint Trinity, VIP sponsor
• Quad-City Bank and Trust, QCR Holdings and Arconic, gold sponsors
• Modern Woodmen and Rhythm City Casino, silver sponsors
• Local 4 News, the Quad-Cities CW, the Quad-City Times, Event Solutions Group and Shenea Brockman Designs, media and event promotion sponsors
• Crown Trophy, Deere Employees Credit Union, the Doris & Victor Day Foundation, Mel Foster Co., MWA Bank, One Step Printing, Per Mar Security, the Quad-Cities River Bandits, RSM US LLP, Stern Beverage, Total Solutions and Tri-City Electric were “Friend of the YWCA QC”-level sponsors.
For more information and to see the full list of honorees, visit www.ywcaqc.org.