(StatePoint) More babies are born in September than any other month of the year, and if there are a lot of new babies in your life, you may be wondering what the best gifts are to welcome them into the world. Remember, many babies will be inundated with onesies which they will quickly outgrow, so why not consider gifts that will encourage them to meet their developmental milestones in the coming years?
“Playtime is not only fun, it’s the ideal opportunity for children to pick up new information and skills, from numbers, language and vocabulary to hand-eye coordination,” says Dr. Clement Chau, director of learning at VTech, a world leader in age-appropriate and developmental stage-based electronic learning products for children.
With a focus on making the most of playtime, consider the following gift ideas.
• Encourage movement and motor skills with the Pop-a-Balls Push & Pop Bulldozer by VTech. Great for ages 12-36 months, this toy features colorful balls that pop up through the smoke stack, into the scoop bucket and back again. Load the balls into the bulldozer, start pushing the handle and watch the bulldozer come to life with popping balls and fun sounds. Kids can also sit and play with the bulldozer by pressing the four colorful number buttons to learn colors, numbers, construction objects and listen to music.
• You can also opt for experiential gifts. Seek out great experiences for babies and young children. From swimming lessons that help a baby get accustomed to the water and feel safe, to classes that expose children to singing and music, in many cases, it’s never too early to introduce babies to these skills. Look for local classes offering gift certificates for families that parents can use when they and their baby are ready to get started.
• Help young ones learn about animals with VTech’s GearZooz Roll & Roar Animal Train, which lets them mix and match the 15 included gears, all while strengthening their fine motor skills and problem-solving techniques. Children 1-5 years old can learn about animals when they place the Smart Gear animals on the pegs and press the buttons on the train to explore more.
• Encourage story time at home by starting a young one’s little library. Remember, books for babies should be easy to hold, include bright bold colors and illustrations, and introduce children to animals, shapes, letters and more.
• Foster creativity with the Zoo Jamz Stompin’ Fun Drums by VTech, which let little rockers tap out beats and create their own sounds. Children will practice counting and develop coordination as they follow along with the melodies and sing-along songs.
Remember, when it comes to welcoming babies into the world, the most thoughtful gifts are those that will help children learn and grow over time.