072014-whiteys2

A Whitey's employee makes a double-scoop cone.

John Schultz, QUAD-CITY TIMES

When newbies visit the Q-C, they wind up at Whitey's for a true taste of the Quad-Cities.

It all began with one store opened in 1933 by Chester "Whitey" Lindgren. The Moline-based company has expanded to 11, nine in the Quad-Cities. Since 1988, Whitey's availability has grown with its pre-packaged ice cream sold in numerous grocery stores around Iowa and Illinois.

Much of that growth has occurred under the co-ownership of brothers Jon and Jeff Tunberg, whose father, Bob, purchased Whitey's from Lindgren in 1953.

Whitey's has won acclaim in an international travel magazine and was featured on a nationally syndicated TV show.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments