It’s always chocolate — in some delicious shape or another — when the Lagomarcino name is mentioned. It could be chocolate-covered cherries, or chocolate Easter eggs that are the size of footballs, or gooey rich chocolate sundaes.
Two Lagomarcino sweet shops in the Quad-Cities compete for calories ... neither one is sweeter than the other. The Moline store is the senior place, where it began in 1908. The newer one is in the Village of East Davenport.
The legacy began when Angelo and Luigia Lagomarcino left the hills outside Genoa, Italy, to open an ice cream parlor and candy kitchen at 1422 5th Ave., Moline. Step into the place today and it looks much the same as in 1908.
Chocolate runs in the blood of family members. Three of the Lagomarcino offspring — Tom Jr., Beth and Lisa — returned to the business after college and careers in other fields.