- 1.9 billion containers are sold each year
n 86 percent of beverage containers (1.65 billion) are redeemed annually
- Residents recycle an average of 563 containers per person each year, while residents of states without deposits average 191.
- The current deposit law prevents litter and recycles 82,352 tons of material a year.
- If Iowa's law were expanded to include water, iced tea, juice and sport drink containers, 335 million more containers could be collected each year. Those containers account for more than 21 percent of the beverage market.
- Covering noncarbonated containers would be good for recycling industries. The containers consist of high-quality materials that are more likely to be recycled into new bottles and cans.
- The quality and value of materials collected through a deposit system is high. Glass breakage and contamination, particularly associated with commingled systems, is minimized.
Source: Iowa Recycling Association