Salsa and some pantry staples give this vegetarian bean burger recipe tons of flavor. We use crushed tortilla chips to bind the burgers together, making them a great vehicle for using up those crumbs that inevitably fall to the bottom of the bag.
Salsa-Black Bean Burgers
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup well-crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup grated white onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or canola oil, divided
- 8 whole-grain burger buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole
- 8 tomato slices
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. Place salsa in a fine-mesh sieve and stir a few times to drain excess liquid. Mash beans with a potato masher in a large bowl until no whole ones remain. Stir in the drained salsa, tortilla chips, grated onion, egg, mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin and salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Form the bean mixture into 8 burgers about 3 inches wide (1/3 cup each).
3. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add 4 burgers and cook until browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining oil and burgers.
4. Serve the burgers on buns with guacamole, tomato slices, sprouts and red onion.
Make-ahead tips: Individually wrap cooked burgers and refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to three months. Microwave to reheat.
Recipe nutrition per serving: 404 Calories, Total Fat: 18 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 25 mg, Carbohydrates: 50 g, Fiber: 11 g, Total Sugars: 6 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 689 mg, Potassium: 584 mg, Folate: 29 mcg, Calcium: 127 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
(EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at www.eatingwell.com.)
In this Series
- 5 updates
Satisfy your cravings
With our weekly newsletter packed with the latest in everything food.