Try 1 month for 99¢

Davenport crews create a temporary driveway from a Palmer College of Chiropractic during a road resurfacing project. Cars that park illegally in the lot are subject to ticketing, school officials said.

Q. I have heard that parking in a Palmer parking lot can get one towed and it will cost $500 cash only to retrieve one's car. Is this true? If true, how is that $500 split between the towing company and Palmer? Does the Davenport schools and city reciprocate to Palmer students who park in city and school lots? -- Hoping It is Untrue in Davenport

A. We contacted Palmer College of Chiropractic, the City of Davenport and the Davenport Community School District regarding your questions. Lori Leopold, Palmer College of Chiropractic media relations manager, responded:

"We're happy to set the record straight on this question. What your reader heard is simply not true. We haven't towed vehicles for parking violations at Palmer College for a number of years. Our policy for parking violations in college-owned parking lots is to give a warning ticket first, then a $25 ticket and a tire boot for a repeat violation."

The City of Davenport has not responded. We will include any response in a follow up.

Dawn Saul, Davenport Community School District communication/media relations, responded:

"I spoke with the individual at Central High School who deals with parking issues and was told that she sees from 10-15 cars per day belonging to Palmer students parked in our Central High School lots. When a car is identified she places a warning sticker on the vehicle. Most students comply. Once a car receives three stickers, it will be towed."

Q. Why don't any Quad-City casinos offer bingo? -- Brenda, Davenport

A. We contacted the Rhythm City Casino Resort, Davenport; Isle Casino Hotel, Bettendorf; and Jumer's Casino & Hotel, Rock Island. Bill Renk, Jumer's Casino & Hotel public relations manager, said, "Bingo in not an approved game in Illinois for casinos. I believe the answer lies here for Illinois:


"(230 ILCS 25/) Bingo License and Tax Act.

"(230 ILCS 25/1) (from Ch. 120, par. 1101)

"Sec. 1. The Department of Revenue shall, upon application therefor on forms prescribed by the Department, and upon the payment of a nonrefundable annual fee of $200, and upon a determination by the Department that the applicant meets all of the qualifications specified in this Act, issue a bingo license for the conducting of bingo to any of the following: any bona fide religious, charitable, labor, fraternal, youth athletic, senior citizen, educational or veterans' organization organized in Illinois which operates without profit to its members, which has been in existence in Illinois continuously for a period of five years immediately before making application for a license and which has had during that entire five year period a bona fide membership engaged in carrying out its objects. However, the five year requirement shall be reduced to two years, as applied to a local organization which is affiliated with and chartered by a national organization which meets the five year requirement."

We will provide any response from the Rhythm City Casino Resort or the Isle Casino Hotel in a follow up. To read Iowa's law concerning bingo operations visit

Ask the Times appears on Thursdays and Saturdays. You can call 563-333-2632, email or write Ask the Times, Quad-City Times, 500 E. 3rd St., Davenport, IA 52801.