Try 1 month for 99¢

A Davenport man suffered non-life-threatening injuries after police say he was shot by an officer in what started out as a report of a domestic disturbance early Tuesday.

John Michael Hess, 42, who remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon, faces charges of going armed with intent, carrying weapons, assault on a police officer with a weapon, fourth-degree theft and violation of a no-contact order.

Several hours after the shooting, police filed an application alleging that Hess violated the no-contact order.

Police said in the application that Hess sent the woman several text messages demanding to retrieve his belongings from their residence and messages that said that he would “come over with a sledgehammer and take his belongings.”

Police also said in the application that Hess armed himself with a pistol and began walking toward the woman’s residence and made statements to his family that he planned to kill the woman and himself. Police encountered him about four blocks away from the woman's home, according to the application. 

The name of the officer involved in the shooting was not released Tuesday. Per department policy, the officer has been placed on administrative leave and the Scott County Sheriff’s Office has taken over the investigation.

Sheriff Tim Lane said he could not give an exact time frame for when the investigation will be completed, but said it will be “relatively short.”

At 3:57 a.m. Tuesday, Davenport officers were called to Arlington Avenue for a report of a domestic disturbance.

Police had learned that Hess, armed with a gun, was walking toward Locust Street and Grand Avenue and that he intended to confront a woman who had recently filed a no-contact order against him, according to a release from the sheriff’s office.

An officer found Hess in the 2100 block of Grand Avenue shortly after the call was received and tried to approach him. Hess produced a handgun, and the officer drew his service weapon.

The sheriff's office has not said how many shots were fired or whether both Hess and the officer fired their guns.

The officer was able to disarm him and took him into custody. Hess was treated at the scene and transported to Genesis Medical Center-East Rusholme Street, Davenport.

The officer was not injured.

Court records show that a temporary protective order was filed against Hess Monday afternoon in Scott County District Court that prohibited him from contacting the woman.

He was issued the order later that night by Davenport police, according to court records. 

A hearing on the order is scheduled March 21 to determine whether a final protective order should be entered.

No other information was released Tuesday. 

Quad-City Times​