Subscribe for 17¢ / day

A Davenport felon has been charged in federal court with possessing a firearm that court documents say is linked to the shooting death of Pierre Davis.

Deunate Trivay Alexander, 26, made his first appearance Wednesday in U.S. District Court, Davenport, on one count of felon in possession of firearm. The charge carries a possible prison sentence of up to 10 years.

He will be back in court Sept. 18 for preliminary and detention hearings.

Alexander's brother, Du'Jor S. Simpson, was fatally shot last month.

Alexander was arrested Aug. 9 and charged in Scott County District Court. Those charges were dismissed Sept. 12 after he was charged by federal prosecutors.

His arrest came four days after Davis, 25, was found dead in a grassy area near the 100 block of 55th Street in Davenport, according to an affidavit filed in support of the criminal complaint. 

Evidence at the scene, as well as autopsy results, indicate that Davis was shot and then run over by his own vehicle, according to the complaint. 

No one has been charged in his death as of Wednesday and police have not publicly named a suspect or suspects in the case. 

According to the affidavit, which was unsealed Wednesday:

After Davis was run over, a person then drove the vehicle previously driven by Davis from the scene. Surveillance video recovered during the investigation show that during the alleged time of the shooting, a vehicle resembling a Chevrolet Equinox and a vehicle matching the description of the one last used by Davis were observed leaving the scene.

Witnesses told police that Simpson, Alexander’s brother, had access to and used a Chevrolet Equinox. Through witness statements and cell phone records, the investigation determined that Davis and Simpson were friends.

The vehicle driven by Davis later was found abandoned in the 5200 block of Ripley Street. The vehicle had a bullet hole on the driver’s side door and two fired 9mm cartridges were recovered.

Blood and suspected body tissue were recovered from underneath the vehicle.

Davis’ autopsy concluded that he was shot at least once in addition to being struck and run over by a vehicle.

Around 12 p.m. Aug. 8, detectives were conducting surveillance in the 1000 block of East 14th Street in connection with the homicide. Simpson was identified as residing in the neighborhood.

Detectives watched an Equinox arrive and park in front of the home. They approached the vehicle and identified Alexander in possession of a red draw-string bag, which he placed inside the vehicle.

Once he was told the car would be searched, Alexander asked for permission to re-enter the vehicle to remove his identification card. Officers saw him get inside and step away a short time later.

The car was towed to a local towing business, where police searched it. Alexander, his girlfriend, and Simpson arrived at the business as detectives waited for additional staff to assist in the search.

Employees saw Alexander enter a restricted garage bay by ducking under a partially opening garage door.

They alerted detectives, who then made contact with Alexander and Simpson as they tried to leave the property. Alexander said his cousin called him and said that detective had located his identification card, which was false.

He said he could not access the vehicle and left the property.

Police searched the vehicle and found the draw-string bag that was located inside a backpack in the backseat. Inside the bag was a CAI 7.62X25 pistol and two magazines.

Sixteen rounds of 9mm ammunition and one round of 7.62X25 was inside the bag. Blood evidence also was located on the undercarriage of the vehicle.

Alexander has a felony theft conviction in Iowa and is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm.

After his arrest on Aug. 9, Alexander told detectives that he received the firearm from his brother, Simpson, on Aug. 5. Simpson told him the firearm was “hot,” or stolen.

Alexander said he took the firearm and placed it in the trunk of a vehicle belonging to his girlfriend. She refused to have the bag in the vehicle and he returned to his home on East 14th Street and hid the firearm and bag near a fence and dumpster behind the residence.

He told detectives that when police arrived to his home on Aug. 8, he placed the firearm and bag inside the Equinox. Alexander said he did not realize that the vehicle was going to be searched.

He admitted that he tried to remove the firearm from the vehicle on two separate occasions while the vehicle was in police custody.

A search of the web history on Alexander’s phone found three entries looking for 7.62X25 ammunition for sale on July 29. That ammunition is the same caliber required by the pistol that was seized from the Equinox.

The recovered pistol was sent to the Peoria (Illinois) Police Department for examination. An ATF officer, who also is a Rock Island Police officer, assisted. He reported that the recovered 9mm cartridges recovered from Davis’ vehicle was fired from the recovered gun.

A further review of Alexander’s phone records showed that there were five calls between his and Simpson’s phone on Aug. 5 and Aug. 6.

The web history on Simpson’s phone found multiple searches between Aug. 2 and Aug. 5 for “9mm” ammunition and “world war 2.” Police believe that the web searches are consistent with someone that tried to fire 9mm ammunition from the recovered pistol.

A further check of the firearm found that it was not manufactured in Iowa and therefore “traveled in and affected interstate commerce,” according to the criminal affidavit.

Simpson, 22, was fatally shot around 9 a.m. Aug. 19 in the 500 block of West 14th Street. No arrests have been made in his death and police have released few details.