A Davenport man faces up to 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to a single charge of solicitation to commit murder for trying to hire someone to kill the boyfriend of his ex-wife last year. 

According to the plea agreement filed Friday in Scott County District Court, prosecutors will not pursue a habitual offender sentencing enhancement against John Henry Cooper, 43, when he is sentenced Sept. 19. They also will recommend that the sentence run at the same time as a separate sentence of up to five years in prison in a Clinton County case.

Court records show that District Court Judge Joel Barrows deferred acceptance of the plea agreement until he reviews a presentence investigation report. If the judge decides to reject the plea agreement, Cooper can take back his guilty plea, according to court records.

According to court records, Cooper was ordered in September by a judge in Clinton County to complete programming at the Residential Correctional Facility in Davenport for violating the terms of his probation in a drug case.

Once he completed the program, he was to be released back to probation, according to court records. 

On Nov. 28, a residential officer was conducting a routine eye count and saw Cooper looking at a small phone while lying in a bed. The phone was confiscated, according to an application filed by Davenport police in support of a search warrant. The following day, another residential officer conducted a random locker search and found a second cell phone in Cooper's locker.

During a search of the phone, the residential officer saw threatening messages from Cooper to a former resident of the RCF. Though a Facebook message, Cooper asked the former resident to kill a man who was in a relationship with his ex-wife. The man also is a former resident of the RCF.

On Jan. 11, a judge in Clinton County ruled Cooper violated the terms of his probation in his drug case because of the solicitation allegation and ordered him to serve the original sentence of up to five years in prison, according to the application.

The case was forwarded to Davenport police on Jan. 14.

An officer spoke with the alleged victim, who said Cooper had been harassing him and his girlfriend for almost two years and that he had contact with Cooper by telephone via text message and Facebook Messenger, according to the application.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.