Try 1 month for 99¢

A Rock Island man has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for attempting to set up a purchase of at least six kilograms of cocaine with a person who turned out to be a confidential informant for law enforcement.

Jeffrey Terrell Moore, 31, was sentence Thursday in U.S. District Court, Rock Island, by Judge Sara Darrow.

There is no parole in the federal system.

According to the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint sworn out by an agent with the Quad-City Metropolitan Enforcement Group, or QCMEG, Moore has been on the radar of QCMEG since November 2015 when Illinois State Police advised that Moore was laundering cash in area casinos by feeding cash in the form of small bills, eventually totaling $185,000 into slot machines with little play, and then taking the cash out in larger denominations.

Then, about nine months ago, on April 26, QCMEG agents met with a confidential source in the Chicago area. The source said he knew a cocaine dealer named Jeffrey Moore from Rock Island.

The source told the agents that on at least one occasion in the past year, he had arranged a multi-kilogram purchase of cocaine for Moore. Moore had appeared with cash to buy the drugs but the deal fell through when the source became ill and did not appear to broker the deal.

According to the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint, the source also told the agents that about two months before he had seen Moore in Rock Island and said he was in possession of about one kilogram of cocaine and about $40,000 in cash.

Also on April 26, the source called Moore and told him he was going to Houston, Texas, to obtain multiple kilograms of cocaine at a good price. The source asked Moore if he would be interested in buying some of the cocaine for $32,000 per kilogram.

Moore called the source back later in the day and said he would be interested in purchasing some of the cocaine.

On May 3, Moore and the source spoke in a recorded conversation. They discussed the purchase of six kilograms of cocaine, with Moore paying for three in cash, and the other three being sold to Moore on a “front” or on consignment.

At 12:50 p.m. on May 4, the confidential source called Moore and told him he was leaving his residence in the Chicago area and they discussed Moore having the cash on hand for the cocaine purchase.

The two spoke later and the source told Moore he was arriving in Rock Island and would be waiting for him in a specific place. About half an hour later, Moore arrived at the meet location in a vehicle driven by an unknown woman. Moore then got into the confidential source’s vehicle.

Moore told the source he had money located at a residence a few blocks away, at 519 19th Ave. The source reminded Moore he would sell Moore six kilograms if Moore paid for three kilograms with cash, a total of $96,000. The other three kilograms would be provided to him on consignment.

Moore told the source, “I ain’t got all that though but I got a nice chunk of it,” before leaving to go get his cash for the purchase.

Moore returned about 20 minutes later with a black backpack. The source looked in the backpack for the money but did not see any. “There’s a big bankroll up in here,” Moore said referring to a plastic bag containing a large quantity of cash.

Agents then arrested Moore. In the backpack, agents found $33,750 in cash.

Authorities searched the residence at 521 19th Ave. In a 5-gallon bucket just inside the front door agents found a plastic bag containing $23,340 in cash.

Moore pleaded guilty on Sept. 7 to a charge of attempted possession with intent to distribute at least 500 grams of cocaine.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.