Skip to main contentSkip to main content

    Outrage and confusion have arisen after an entry in a Fourth of July parade in Iowa that featured one woman on horseback pulling a rope used to bind the wrists of another woman wearing Native American dress. Social media commenters were perplexed by the entry Tuesday in a parade in Muscatine. Some wondered whether it was a disapproving commentary on treatment of Indigenous people. Others wondered if it was an endorsement of that treatment. The woman on the horse told the Quad-City Times that the portrayal was on behalf of a group that honors distinguished members of the Cherokee Nation.

      Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has called a special legislative session so lawmakers can enact new abortion restrictions. The move comes after the state Supreme Court last month declined to reinstate a law that would have banned abortion as early as six weeks in a pregnancy. The court was split 3-3 and did not issue a decision on the merits of the law,  leaving open the possibility that the GOP-controlled Legislature could try to pass the same ban again. In the meantime, abortion remains legal in Iowa up to 20 weeks of pregnancy. Most Republican-led states have significantly curbed access to abortion since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last year.

        Authorities say a man who was shot and killed by an Illinois trooper was a suspect in two shootings in Iowa. The Illinois State Police said in a news release Wednesday that 39-year-old Randy A. Jackson shot and wounded a man and woman in Clinton, Iowa, which is just across the Illinois state border. The man, who was shot Sunday night, is recovering from non-life-threatening wounds. The woman's condition wasn’t immediately available. Authorities say troopers and officers from several other agencies chased Jackson's vehicle Monday night near Danville, which is near Illinois' border with Indiana. They say he later refused to comply during a standoff and that a trooper shot him. He died at a hospital on Tuesday.

          New York had its hot dog eating contest to celebrate Independence Day. But the Florida Keys had a sweeter alternative. The Key Lime Pie Eating Championship in Key West, where Key lime pie originated, was won Tuesday by Joshua Mogle, a 38-year-old Altoona, Iowa, tire manufacturing manager. Mogle plunged face-first into a 9-inch pie smothered with whipped cream during the challenge, whose rules forbid contestants to use their hands. The gooey competition has become a subtropical substitute to Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July hot dog eating contest. Mogle consumed the confection in three minutes and 35 seconds, besting 24 rivals in the culmination of Key West’s five-day Key Lime Festival.

            An Iowa man may be well on his way to an official world record for pencils. Aaron Bartholmey of Colfax has been collecting wooden advertising pencils since he was a child. He now claims to have more than 70,000. That’s substantially more than the Guinness World Record for the largest pencil collection at 24,000. Last weekend, two counters from the American Pencil Collectors Society were at the Colfax Historical Society to count Bartholmey’s pencils. Now, he’s waiting to hear if the count is approved by Guinness, which estimated the review process could take up to three months.

            What a wonderful change of feeling since the rains came. I have to admit that probably all of us in the farming community were feeling really stressed and down throughout June. The stress that comes with drought is almost unbearable. You look out into the fields and see your livelihood — you…

            Police say the suspect in the 1982 Tylenol poisonings that killed seven people in the Chicago area and triggered a nationwide scare has died. Police in Cambridge, Massachusetts, said Monday that officers, firefighters and EMTs responding to a report of unresponsive person about 4 p.m. Sunday found James Lewis dead in his home in the city. Police say he was 76. Police say the death is not considered suspicious. No one was ever charged in the deaths of seven people who took drugs laced with cyanide. But Lewis served more than 12 years in prison for sending an extortion note to Johnson & Johnson, demanding $1 million to “stop the killing.”

            With Earth breaking average heat records, cities are sure to be giving a fresh look at their readiness plans for temperatures that can kill. Dire heat waves in the past have prompted effective efforts by cities to do better at protecting people — especially their most vulnerable. A heat wave in Chicago in 1995 killed more than 700 people. The city responded by developing an emergency plan that includes a massive push to alert people to the coming danger — and connect people with the resources they may need to survive it. Many other cities have adopted similar measures. But experts say the inequality that makes some people more vulnerable to the heat is a problem that persists.

            Affiliate

            Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

            Topics

            News Alerts

            Breaking News